Find information on how your immigration status affects your eligibility for enrolling in a health insurance plan in Connecticut.
Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)
Refugee or asylee
- Are a Cuban/Haitian entrant.
- Have been paroled into the U.S. or granted temporary protected status.
- Are a child who has applied for a special immigrant juvenile status.
- Have a deportation or removal temporarily withheld for humanitarian reasons.
Survivor of domestic violence, trafficking, and other serious crimes
- Are a victim of domestic violence who qualifies for protection (abused spouses and children, and the children or parents of these individuals) and parents of abusive adult children who are U.S. citizens.
- Are an immigrant survivor of human trafficking.
- Are a U-Visa or T-Visa holder.
- Are a Visa holder who is allowed to and intends to remain in Connecticut from the date enrolled through the remainder of the tax year (such as tourists, students and visitors on business).
- Are a citizen of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands or Palau.
- Note: Individuals with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status are valid non-immigrants, but are not eligible for coverage through Access Health CT (See below for more detail).
- Are a non-citizen who gained legal status.
- Qualify for Family Unity Program status, protecting you from deportation or removal.
- Are an applicant for adjustment under the Legal Immigration and Family Equity (LIFE) Act who has employment authorization.
- Are an applicant for cancellation of removal and suspension of deportation who has employment authorization.
- Are under an order of supervision and have employment authorization.
- Are an applicant for registry who has employment authorization.
Who is eligible?
All members of your taxable household (with legal status or not) should be included on your enrollment application. However, only those with a legal status are eligible to receive health coverage through Access Health CT.
What if I have DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) status?
Individuals with DACA status do not qualify to enroll in health coverage through Access Health CT, including Medicaid, or receive tax credits to help pay for coverage. Other options if you have DACA status:
- Emergency treatment under the emergency Medicaid program, which can only be obtained by calling the DSS Benefit Center at 1-855-626-6632.
- Individuals with DACA status can buy full cost health insurance outside of Access Health CT or through their employer.
Who is eligible to apply for HUSKY Health (Medicaid/Children’s Health Insurance Program)?
Most individuals who fall into one of the above categories will also need to meet a five-year residency requirement. You are excluded from this requirement if you are a child, pregnant, refugee/asylee, Cuban/Haitian entrant, or a victim of trafficking. Amerasians, Iraqi, and Afghan special immigrants, and aliens whose deportations are being withheld, are also excluded from meeting the five-year residency requirement.
Latest from the blog
We’ve all become more focused on protecting our health and our pocketbooks, so this is a great time to take a second look at your healthcare coverage. You might be surprised to find that there are many types of coverage you can choose from, and that you may qualify...
Residents can act during the Open Enrollment Period from November 1, 2022 – January 15, 2023. Many current customers will continue to see lower monthly bills. The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) makes health insurance coverage more affordable by greatly reducing monthly...
1. What is Open Enrollment? Open Enrollment is the time you can shop, compare and enroll or renew in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP). You can now shop, compare and enroll in health and dental insurance at the same time through Access Health CT. Whether you are renewing...
Starting November 1, 2022 you can add a dental plan directly to your health insurance enrollment application If your health insurance plan does not provide full dental coverage for adults, stand-alone dental plans are a great option. You can now shop, compare and...