Tax Information for 2021 Coverage
If you or anyone in your household enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) through Access Health CT in 2021, you will be getting a form in the mail by the first week of February 2022 called Form 1095-A with information about your insurance coverage. You will receive a Form 1095-A form if you did not receive financial help (Advance Premium Tax Credits). See below to download our Frequently Asked Questions and a sample of Form 1095-A.
Note: If you enrolled in a Catastrophic health plan in 2021, you will not receive Form 1095-A. Form 1095-A is only sent to individuals who bought qualified health plans through Access Health CT at the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels.
Know the forms you will be receiving:
You will receive a Form 1095-A if you had qualified coverage through Access Health CT. If someone in your household had HUSKY/Medicaid coverage in 2021, they can request a form called a Form 1095-B from the Connecticut Department of Social Services. You should expect a Form 1095-C if you had coverage through your employer or through Medicare. If you have questions, please contact your employer or the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
NOTE: The IRS Form 1095-B is NO LONGER REQUIRED by federal law when preparing federal tax returns and it will not be mailed out this year. However, DSS is required to make IRS Form 1095-B available upon request and consumers who need a copy of the form can request it in one of the following ways:
Next steps after you receive Form 1095-A:
- Check the information on your Form 1095-A. Make sure the information is up to date for everyone covered under your plan. That includes your name, home address, health plan information, and tax credits (if applicable). If any of the information in Form 1095-A is wrong, please call us at 1-855-396-2428 (If you are deaf or hearing impaired, you may use the TTY at 1-855-789-2428 or contact us with a relay operator).
- To view your Form 1095-A online, sign in to your Access Health CT account. You may need to reset your password if it’s been a while since you logged in.
- If you are locked out of your online account or if you need to create one, you must call us at 1-855-396-2428 (If you are deaf or hearing impaired, you may use the TTY at 1-855-789-2428 or contact us with a relay operator).
- If you have questions about your Form 1095-A, or if you believe there is an error on your form, please call us right away.
Important things to keep in mind about filing your taxes:
If you received Advanced Premium Tax Credits (financial help) in 2021 and you do not file your tax return with IRS Form 8962 to reconcile your tax credits, you will not be able to receive Premium Tax Credits in future years until you file your 2021 tax return. If your filing or income information has changed since you applied for healthcare coverage, you may have to pay back some or all of the Premium Tax Credits (financial help) you received. 1095-A forms CANNOT be emailed or faxed. If you’ve misplaced your Form 1095- A, please contact our contact center for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions: Form 1095A
Why do I need this information?
You need it to complete IRS Form 8962 as part of your 2021 federal income tax return, which the IRS uses to determine whether you received the correct amount of Premium Tax Credits (financial help). Form 8962 can be downloaded at irs.gov website. Please see a tax professional for help with completing Form 8962.
Form 1095-A shows:
- Who had qualified coverage in your household,
- Your household plan information and monthly payment (known as a premium), and
- The amount of money paid to your insurance company to help lower your monthly costs (known as Advance Premium Tax Credits or APTCs).
I received financial help in 2021. Should I file taxes?
YES. You must file a federal tax return for 2021 – even if you usually don’t file or your income is below the level requiring you to file.
Could I pay a penalty?
- For Tax Year 2021 the penalty or fee for not having health insurance coverage is $0.
- For Tax Years 2018 and earlier, individuals without coverage during those years may be subject to a penalty.
Why does my monthly payment (known as premium) amount on my Form 1095-A NOT match the premium amount on the bill I receive from my insurance company every month?
- The premium amount in Column A of your Form 1095-A may show an amount different than what you paid all year because amounts in Column A show only the portion of your premium that covers Essential Health Benefits.
- Plans sold through the Exchange are required to cover Essential Health Benefits.
- Insurance companies may offer benefits in addition to the Essential Health Benefits, so the premium paid may be different than the amount listed in Column A to cover these additional benefits.
Where is my form?
- Log in to your Access Health CT account
- Click the “My Inbox” Tab
- Click “View More”
- Select PDF File Icon
- Download / View your Form 1095-A
Don’t have an online account? Click HERE to get started.
Latest from the blog
We’ve all become more focused on protecting our health and our pocketbooks, so this is a great time to take a second look at your healthcare coverage. You might be surprised to find that there are many types of coverage you can choose from, and that you may qualify...
Residents can act during the Open Enrollment Period from November 1, 2022 – January 15, 2023. Many current customers will continue to see lower monthly bills. The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) makes health insurance coverage more affordable by greatly reducing monthly...
1. What is Open Enrollment? Open Enrollment is the time you can shop, compare and enroll or renew in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP). You can now shop, compare and enroll in health and dental insurance at the same time through Access Health CT. Whether you are renewing...
Starting November 1, 2022 you can add a dental plan directly to your health insurance enrollment application If your health insurance plan does not provide full dental coverage for adults, stand-alone dental plans are a great option. You can now shop, compare and...